Protection of information technology devices (such as computers or smartphones) and systems against the dangers of decommissioning, manipulation or outflow of data through the cyberspace.
What does the term “cyber security” mean in detail?
The issue of cyber security is of great importance at the individual, local, national and international level, because it can prevent a wide range of damage, from the loss of production of a single plant to the power outage of an entire district to the theft of top-secret state documents. This is an increasingly accepted fact: "Few areas of internal and external security are as closely connected as in cyberspace. The threat situation in cyberspace requires a holistic view within the framework of cyber security policy." (White Paper on Security Policy and the Future of the Bundeswehr 2016, p. 38) For you as an entrepreneur, this has a positive consequence, in that you will be provided more and more high-quality information on this topic, including from the Cyber Security Alliance, the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) and various business and industry associations.
Where do I encounter “cyber security” in everyday work?
In today's networked workday, cyber security is a common topic. Wherever digital information is created, collected, managed and used, cyber security is a highly relevant issue. For example:
- At the work computer
- In the fully or partially automated assembly hall
- In your digital customer files
- In your digital order management
Every password entry, every authentication, every update influences the cyber security of your company. This opens up a lot of potential for you and your employees to increase their cyber security in their day-to-day work.
What can I do to improve my safety?
Increase your cyber security by reducing your cyber risks (see the glossary entry, "Cyber Risks," for examples). Using guidelines, which can carry out various measures, themselves. Alternatively, service providers such as Perseus are also available. That way, you can be sure that both basic and technically sophisticated measures will be taken care of.
More interesting information can be found at
- The cyber security section of the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) www.bsi.bund.de/DE/Themen/Cyber-Sicherheit/cyber-sicherheit_node.html
- The website of the Cyber Security Alliance of the BSI, including a reporting office for cyber incidents: www.allianz-fuer-cybersicherheit.de/ACS/DE/Home/startseite.html
- The cyber security section of the Federal Ministry of Defense www.bmvg.de/de/themen/cybersicherheit
- The current White Paper on Security Policy and the Future of the Bundeswehr (2016) www.bundesregierung.de/resource/blob/975292/736102/64781348c12e4a80948ab1bdf25cf057/weissbuch-zur-sicherheitspolitik-2016-download-bmvg-data.pdf
- Topic page of the Federation of German Industries cyber security bdi.eu/themenfelder/digitalisierung/cybersicherheit/